April 30, 2007

Carrie the Musical

Yes, believe it or not, Stephen King's novel, Carrie, officially found an extremely brief and legendary life as a musical stageplay. With original music by Michael Gore (Fame) and Dean Pitchford (Footloose) and a script by Lawrence D. Cohen (who wrote the script that was used for the 1976 film), "Carrie" the musical was sure to be a success... though it's now often considered the biggest Broadway flop of all time. However, the play has attained a level of notoriety unlike any other, there's a massive cult following and it's heavily rumored that a revival is in the works.











Disclaimer: I can take credit for most of the information about the films, but this wing of the site has been built with the help of many, many enthusiastic 'Carrie bleeders.' Yes, there is some content here that's in a legal gray area (the songs are under copyright but the recordings weren't copyrighted -- or authorized). All of it was acquired through the internet, there's not a thing that I've ripped myself. My feeling is that people have been rampantly trading and selling these materials for two decades and, with or without this site, they're going to continue to be distributed. By putting them here to be freely seen and heard, fans aren't being willingly raped of their hard earned cash (eBay prices are astounding!), bootleggers aren't reaping massive profits and those who are interested are able to learn of this legendary play. As win/win as it can be, all things considered. It's heavily rumored that a new staging is being prepped and, if that happens, I will absolutely not be sharing any unauthorized materials from it.























Carrie... A Fan's Site: Carrie the Musical




.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

If anybody has the entire show on video, I would Love to see it! please let me know! ckf92wizard@aim.com

Unknown said...

OMG! Just as I was almost prepared to finally forgive myself for NOT seeing this show in previews - I stumble on this blogspot! I was doing summer stock in PA at the time, and kept telling myself, "I'll see it next week when we get back to The City." Well, unfortunately, next week came, but the show closed on Sunday after the matinee!

I mean, it's been 20 years! You'd think I'd have gotten over it by now?

Anonymous said...

If I have to re-write this show myself, I am going to make it work. I can't seem to focus on my own music because I am churning out Carrie idea after Carrie idea. It's freaking me out.

cliftwriter said...

Great job! This is the best place for Carrie the Musical I found. Back in 1988, I remember walking by the Virginia Theatre and seeing a bunch of folks milling around before the show. I debated about whether or not to see if tickets were availble, but decided to wait for later. I'm still kicking myself!

Anonymous said...

I have started a new Carrie the Musical Social Network at carriethemusical.ning.com. It's like a Carrie the Musical themed facebook.

I'm not trying to take away from this site.. (It's one of my favourites) or carbon copy the info... Just want to build an online community of enthusiasts.

Unknown said...

CARRIE TRIBUTE CD!

Hey! So, our band THE HMMM is putting together a Carrie Tribute CD.

We've got about 6 bands signed on right now and about 6 spaces available.

Drop us a line on myspace if you're interested in contributing a track!

http://www.myspace.com/thisishmmm

Anonymous said...

Is there a CD of the musical available? I had a ticket for the night after it closed!

Anonymous said...

Is there a CD of the musical available? I had a ticket for the night after it closed!

Anonymous said...

Check out the new recordings of And Eve Was Weak, Heaven, and When There's No One by Chris Moore from his demo album Not While I'm Around.

And Eve was Weak- http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?jxzth2ynt2j

When There's No One-http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?mdmzytfvezj

Heaven-http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?cm2wnmwujhz

These are pretty rare tracks are not half bad at all...quite good actually. I can't think of many other recordings of these tracks. Enjoy!

Raymond said...

Hi there. Your website is superb. I'd always been interested in this musical and the links on your site allowed me to hear and see it. I've added a few clips from the Stratford run to my YouTube channel. I hope you don't mind, but I've attached a link to this site. If you'd rather I removed the link, please let me know.

Anonymous said...

New recordings of the songs Carrie(reprise)/When There's No One and And Eve Was Weak here:http://www.myspace.com/chrismoorealbum

Have a listen!!!

Anonymous said...

I have some of the original posters of the show, what are they worth?

Anonymous said...

http://www.carriethemusical.com has finally opened!! Such a great site!

Anonymous said...

The site is not working! what happened?

Captain Bartok said...

I was involved with the original Broadway Production.(Sound Engineer) During the show there were only two official Show jackets made and I own one of them. Its in excellent condition and I am willing to sell it. It does have my name Bart embroidered in small cursive writing on the front and the large Carrie Logo on the back with the famous tag line 'There's never been a Musical like Her' underneath.
I currently live In Amsterdam. My starting price is 300 Euro's. Not including delivery cost. I can send you a picture of the jacket on request.

Thank You
Bart

Rowdy said...

More rumors of putting Carrie back on Broadway. I'm not sure how reliable this is really, but it's an interesting read nonetheless.

http://tinyurl.com/ylxdpbt

Kevin and Don Norte said...

http://www.mediafire.com/myfiles.php#

This is some music I found out there. It does not have titles but it is CARRIE

Anonymous said...

The musical is getting an Off-Broadway revival in NY in 2012. They cut some of the worst songs and are reworking things. From what I can tell, Carrie is getting a second chance.